Pre Assessment with Explain Everything

We recently got a set of six iPads for our level (Grades 3/4) to use. As I am the ICT coordinator I wanted to test out some of the apps to make sure that they ran smoothly for when others in my level used them. This meant I had to think of some quick activities I could do. I decided to use the Explain Everything app for our first project. I really love this app and wanted to encourage others in my level to use it too.

We have just started investigating addition and subtraction in my class. We began by looking at adding/subtracting 10, 20, 30 or 40 from a range of two digit numbers. We have a huge focus on mental strategies at my school and we encourage our students to record their thinking in a variety of ways. One strategy we use to record our thinking is the jump strategy. The students had only been learning about this strategy for about a week but I thought it would be good to use the Explain Everything app to have them create videos explaining what they know.

I have shared some of the videos they made below:

The Jump Strategy EE 1 from Aimee Gale on Vimeo.

The Jump Strategy EE 2 from Aimee Gale on Vimeo.

The Jump Strategy EE 3 from Aimee Gale on Vimeo.

The Jump Strategy EE 4 from Aimee Gale on Vimeo.

The Jump Strategy EE 5 from Aimee Gale on Vimeo.

I love that these videos are examples of the students learning, including errors. They show what my students already know as well as their misconceptions. It’s also interesting to listen to the language the students use. I can hear that some students haven’t developed the language required to explain the jump strategy in great detail. They are not referring to tens and ones, rather just a jump of ten. I can also see that some students are mixing up where they need to put their numbers and jumps. You may notice that some students are far to worried about where the ‘dot’ goes rather than thinking about the equations!

I am going to use this example of my students learning to help me plan for the next part of our addition and subtraction sequence. I am also going to put them on our class blog so that the parents can see how the students are going. I don’t want our blog to just be a showcase of the best work my class can do, but rather an example of our learning journey. Towards the end of term , after a lot more learning my students will create new Explain Everything videos and the students, their parents and I will be able to compare them to their first attempts. We will have a great measure of progress.

One thought on “Pre Assessment with Explain Everything

1. Thanks Aimee, another great example of assessment, especially your commentary on how you are going to use this information. I love that it is driving the next stage of learning and teaching.